Cathedral and bell Tower
The ancient cathedral was consecrated in 1198 and dedicated to Saint Mary Assunta. Today the Cathedral stands over an area of about five thousand square meters and besides of its architectonic beauties and the works of art which are saved inside, it is famous above all for its Bell Tower, built in 1933 by the Ungerer brothers from Strasburg and inaugurated on August 15th of the same year. The tower is 60 meters high, inside of it was placed one of the largest astronomical clocks all over the world and different mechanical configurations that every day at midday recalls episodes of the city history. With its movements this sophisticated mechanism arouses the interest of thousands visitors who, admiring the performance, everyday at the same time, make a date in Messina from all over the world.
Want to know the Cathedral and Bell Tower?
The cathedral is a stage of the following tours. Don’t miss the chance of seeing it live!